Redlands, USA, 19 December 2006 – ESRI, the National Vacant Properties Campaign, and Magellan have announced the winners of the ‘National Vacant and Abandoned Properties Grant Program’. Fifty thousand dollars in software, hardware, and training grants has been awarded to 10 U.S. local and regional governments.
The 2006 ESRI, National Vacant Properties Campaign, and Magellan National Vacant and Abandoned Properties Grant Program recipients are:
– City of Opa-locka, Florida, Community Development Department
– City of Detroit, Michigan, Department of Environmental Affairs
– City of Trenton, New Jersey, Department of Housing and Economic Development
– City of Gretna, Louisiana, Mayor’s Office
– City of Boston, Massachusetts, Department of Neighborhood Development
– City of Ashland, Wisconsin, Department of Planning and Development
– City of Spokane, Washington, Economic Development Division
– Southeast Iowa Regional Planning Commission, Iowa (four counties)
– City of Alton, Texas, Planning Department
– City of New Orleans, Louisiana, Redevelopment Authority
The goal of the grant programme is to foster innovative approaches to solve government and community problems through the combined use of GIS and GPS technology. Grants were awarded to governments that proposed GIS and GPS applications that will produce or enhance property inventory and encourage redevelopment of vacant or abandoned properties within the United States.
The recipients will create and share reusable GIS and GPS applications that governments with similar projects can access via an ESRI public domain Web site at www.esri.com/arcscripts. Exchanging ideas and resources on issues that affect their communities enables governments to meet objectives and better serve the public. The public domain templates provide a starting point for the government community to share applications.
– About Magellan
Magellan is a leader in the consumer, survey, GIS, and OEM GPS navigation and positioning markets. Recognized as an industry innovator, the company is the creator of Magellan RoadMate series portable car navigation systems; the Magellan eXplorist outdoor handheld navigation devices; the Hertz NeverLostSM car navigation system; and ProMarkh, the single frequency GPS survey product line on the market. The company is privately held and headquartered in San Dimas, California. To learn more, visit www.magellanGPS.com.
– About NVPC
The National Vacant Properties Campaign exists to provide everyone—individuals, advocates, government agencies, developers, nonprofit organizations, and others—with information resources, tools, and assistance to support their vacant property revitalization efforts. The campaign is a project of Smart Growth America (SGA), Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), and the Metropolitan Institute at Virginia Tech. Visit NVPC at www.vacantproperties.org.