Shell Mobile (the MVNO recently created by Shell Hong Kong Ltd and SUNDAY Communications Ltd) and Webraska, a provider of LBS & Telematics applications and enabling platforms, announced the launch of the world’s first Chinese and English location-based services (LBS).
Motorists will be able to purchase subscriptions to Shell Mobile and access a range of location enabled STK services from all 60 Shell petrol stations as well as other selected locations throughout Hong Kong focusing on the motorist. Webraska has provided the enabling technology necessary to deliver the services as well as managing all content integration, application development and hosting necessary to deploy the carrier-grade offering.
The Shell Mobile motorist package consists of the following five services:
- SMS Traffic Alerts – provides daily mobile alerts with up-to-date details on estimated journey time and traffic incidents.
- Traffic Reporter Service – provides the latest road and tunnel traffic conditions.
- Route Planner – can detect subscriber location and provide traffic-optimised directions to a selected destination.
- Journey Assist – provides person-to-person directions on the quickest route, plus the estimated journey time (based on SCATS data).
- Location Finder – alerts the user to the nearest car park or Shell Service station
The services have been developed using Webraska’s SmartZone platforms, and integrate with mapping information from Brilliant Technology. The conversion of SCATS data into travel time information was provided by one of Webraska’s traffic technology partners, Custom Traffic.