US: One of the largest electric distribution cooperative of the U.S., Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC), has implemented Trimble DMS, or Trimble‘s Distribution Management System that will be used by PEC for the operational administration of its electric network as well as outage management and response.
Trimble DMS features core Outage Management System (OMS) capabilities that can boost a utility’s outage response and service restoration times, improve communications and safety with crews and customers, and enhance the electric network’s overall operational efficiency.
“We are impressed with both Trimble‘s DMS solution for outage management and Trimble‘s ability to understand our unique requirements to implement the solution on-time and on-budget,” said Lawanda Parnell, PEC chief information officer. “In fact, what was originally planned as a one-year project due to its complexity was completed in only four months thanks to the Trimble‘s professional services team and their collaboration with PEC.”
Brad Hicks, PEC’s vice president of engineering and energy innovations added, “We are thrilled with our decision to go with Trimble to enhance PEC electric service delivery and outage restoration, quickly and effectively, for all our cooperative members. Trimble‘s solutions enable PEC to more proactively respond to outages and engage with our members, giving them the critical information they need.”
Trimble DMS leverages Trimble‘s connected “live” network modeling technology and spatial functionality. It includes seamless interoperability with substation automation, advanced metering infrastructure, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, work order systems, customer information and notification systems, and crew and vehicle location systems. Trimble DMS also includes an extensive set of outage reports and statistics and serves as a comprehensive system for outage management with features and functionality for:
- Outage communications optimized for PEC staff, field crews and member notifications
- Outage mapping that visualizes date, time and location of outages, number of members affected, estimated outage restoration times, status, cause of outage and more
- Switch planning and simulation to understand member service impacts of planned or unplanned outages
- Trouble call management to quickly report, identify and isolate outages and their locations via Trimble‘s call center software and interfaces to Customer Information System (CIS) and Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems
- System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) calculations based on yearly number of minutes the average customer is out of power
- Customer Average Interruption Duration Index (CAIDI) calculations based on outage duration and response
“This was a great project from the start with Trimble and PEC teams working closely together to effectively implement the Trimble DMS solution,” said Benoit Mallen, business area director for Trimble Energy Americas. “We’re proud that PEC is now using Trimble DMS to deliver safe and reliable power to the people and communities of their growing service area.”