Indian government sanctions major project under NUIS for State of Gujarat

Indian government sanctions major project under NUIS for State of Gujarat

SHARE

Ahmedabad, India, 18 October 2006 – The Union Ministry for Urban Development, Government of India, has sanctioned a major project under the National Urban Information System (NUIS) for eight cities in the State of Gujarat.

The cities to be covered under the project are Ahmedabad, Surat, Rajkot, Vadodara, Jamnagar, Bhavnagar, Junagadh and Nadiad. The Chief Town Planner of the State office has been appointed as the nodal agency for the project. Under the project, aerial photography and Geographic Information System (GIS) would be used to gather special information to prepare urban development plans for these cities. Basic information like population, employment, economic development, and infrastructure development would be gathered and used to prepare maps for the cities.

Through aerial photography, detailed plans and routes of underground sewage lines, electricity and telephone wires, drainage, water connection pipelines would be collected. This information will be used to create specialised maps. “Under the project, multi-layered information regarding underground pipelines, cables of electricity and telephones would be created and put on the maps so that the citizens can avail themselves of the knowledge. This will also help in future planning for the cities,’’ said an official.

According to the officials of the urban development department, the total cost of the project is around Rs. 8 crore (USD 1.7 million) of which 75 per cent funds would come from the Central Government while remaining 25 per cent would be contributed by the State Government.