The inaugural Corporate Montage “Battle of the Maps” commenced with a fiery start and produced many interesting and exciting entries. Organizations from three Australia states, United States of America, Germany, the Middle East and New Zealand battled it out with maps that exemplified excellent use of CADscript and precision mapping skills.
Corporate Montage’s Sales Director Mark Bright said, “As this was the first “Battle of the Maps” competition we have conducted and given the short notice Corporate Montage provided our CADscript users, we were pleasantly surprised by the quality and number of entries we received. The entries certainly confirmed that our users are a talented and innovative group.”
A successful “Battle Gallery” was created during the Corporate Montage International Conference 2002, displaying maps submitted to the competition. On display were geological maps, transport maps, topographical maps, tourist maps, street directories and special purpose maps. The gallery gave attendees an opportunity to exchange ideas and techniques on the use of CADscript.
Judges were faced with a tough selection challenge and after much deliberation, the Grand Prize was awarded to the “Urapunga Roper River Special 1:250,000” map submitted by Northern Territory Geological Survey (Australia). The map formed part of the NT 2nd Edition Series Mapping Program. The NT Geological Survey has twelve copies of CADscript and took full advantage of the features available in the software to attain style and design specifications for the map. Features used included Postscript® font, Pantone® Colour Table, line-weight definition tables, level and table symbology ordering and placement of EPS images. Corporate Montage’s Quill was also used for the formatting of legend text.
Two runners-up prizes was awarded to:
- “2002 Arkansas State Highway Map” – Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (USA)
- “Royal National Park Tourist Map” – Land and Property Information New South Wales (Australia).
Special commendations were awarded to:
- “Interpreted Geology of the Shoemaker Impact Structure” – Dept. of Mineral and Petroleum Resources, Geological Survey Division
- “Hamilton City Map” – New Zealand Automobile Association Inc
- “Wildflower Drives of the West Midlands Region” – Conservation and Land Management Western Australia (CALM)
- “Ellenbrook Street Directory” – Whelans
- “Western Australia 1:50,000 Regolith Landform Resource Series Howatharra Sheet” – Dept. of Mineral and Petroleum Resources, Geological Survey Division
Planning for next years, Battle of the Maps has already started with the first innovation being the introduction of four or five different categories to cater for the different industries/disciplines our clients work in. Given CADscript has over 1,500 users in 15 countries, and a little more notice, Corporate Montage can expect a lot more countries to be represented in 2003.