India: Esri India has launched the Hindi version of Portal for ArcGIS, a component of ArcGIS Enterprise that allows users to share maps, scenes, apps, and other geographic information with other people in the organization.
According to 2001 Census, 53.6% of Indian population declared that they speak Hindi either as first or second language, in which 41% of them have declared it as their native language or mother tongue. Hindi is also the fourth most spoken language in the world, after Mandarin, Spanish and English. These figures clearly show the need for tapping into this audience through their native language for enhancing the adoption of GIS and drive its growth in India.
On the launch of Portal for ArcGIS in Hindi, Agendra Kumar, President, Esri India said, “The Portal in Hindi will bring a revolutionary change in the adoption of GIS in India. It will be a game changer for the Indian organizations, specifically Government Departments which will be able realize the vision of delivering citizen impact services by creating an end-to-end Hindi Experience for their users while working on Esri GIS Platform.”
Esri’s ArcGIS Online, which is a cloud offering of the popular GIS platform is also available in Hindi, and so are some of the common apps like Collector and Survey 1-2-3. These apps are used for survey and collection of data, activities that are usually done by people who prefer to use Hindi.
With this launch, users will be able to access all the features of POrtal in Hindi which includes:
- The portal website – People in an organization sign in to the portal website to search, use, and share content
- Map viewer -The portal website includes a map viewer for designing and saving web maps
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS – The portal website includes an embedded interactive app for designing and building web applications from the user’s web maps
- Activity Dashboard for ArcGIS – The website includes an embedded app that reports various usage statistics for items, users, and groups
- Scene viewer – The portal website includes an application for viewing 3D geospatial content
- ArcGIS apps – Portal for ArcGIS supports user-friendly applications that allow people to interact with web maps and scenes from the portal
- ArcGIS Portal Directory – The ArcGIS Portal Directory is an interactive view of the ArcGIS REST API’s resources for working with the portal