Redlands, California—November 11, 2008—ESRI, the leading developer of geographic information system (GIS) software, and Xplore Technologies, an innovative manufacturer of rugged mobile computing systems, announce the winners of the joint 2008 ESRI and Xplore Technologies Mobile Government Demonstration Project Grant Program.
The ESRI and Xplore Technologies software, hardware, and training grants, totaling $95,950, have been awarded to 10 state, regional, and local governments. The recipients are
- Alabama Forestry Commission, Forest Management Division
- City of Sarasota, Florida, Public Works and Utilities Department
- County of Bay, Florida, Emergency Services Department
- County of Montgomery, Maryland, Department of Parks
- County of Nueces, Texas, Community Supervision and Corrections Department
- County of Woodford, Kentucky
- Eastern Municipal Water District, California
- State of California, Department of Transportation, District 7
- Town of Narragansett, Rhode Island, Department of Community Development
- Village of Algonquin, Illinois, Parks and Forestry Department
The ESRI and Xplore Technologies Mobile Government Demonstration Project Grant Program has been established with two goals in mind.
The first objective is to assist government agencies in creating models that integrate mobile and server GIS architecture to improve government processes. The second is to provide reusable applications that can be shared with governments that have similar projects.
ESRI and Xplore Technologies encourage application sharing in the government community because exchanging ideas on issues that affect their communities helps governments better serve the public. Through the ESRI and Xplore Technologies grant program, governments can take advantage of the open exchange of ideas and shared resources to meet their objectives.