Earth Resource Mapping has announced the latest release of the free ECW plugin for ArcGIS® 8.1, 8.1.2 and 8.2. The plug-in allows greater productivity in the ArcGIS® environment by adding support for ECW, URL, ALG and ERS image formats. It also includes the 500MB (not 50MB) ECW compressor utility for free.
The most significant new features and improvements for this release are:
- Significant improvement in the displayprocess speed of imagery. ECW is now easily the fastest and most efficient format for compressed large imagery in the ArcGIS® Desktop environment.
- The ability to add remote ECW imagery to your project served by the Image Web Server. This functionality is a key feature of the ArcView® 3.x plug-in, and is now available in ArcGIS® environment.
- The addition of ER Mapper”s ALG and ERS formats. No longer are ER Mapper users and their clients restricted to ArcView 3.x plug-in for their GIS projects. Also, virtual datasets (e.g. ERS->TIFF) can now be added to your projects.
- New toolbar and commands provide a user-friendly interface, access to plug-in features and customisation of workspace. Some of the commands on the toolbar include, add remote ECW, launch ECW compressor, plug-in options, access to help documentation and about dialog.
- Better integration with ECW compressor. The ECW compressor can be accessed via command or export menu “Raster to ECW…”. As the compressor is a separate process, compression tasks can be carried out without restricting workflow in the ArcGIS® environment. Other advantages include robustness and the ability for compression to continue while ArcGIS® is closed.
- Comprehensive help documentation with illustrations provides a useful resource for new users or who want to get the most from the plug-in.
To download the free ECW plugin for ArcGIS® 8.1, 8.1.2 and 8.2, visit https://www.ermapper.com/downloads.