US: According to the new market research report by MarketsandMarkets “CMOS Image Sensor Market by Technology”, the CMOS image sensor market is estimated to reach USD 17.1 billion by 2020, growing at a CAGR of 11.8% between 2015 and 2020.
Consumer electronics expected to lead the CMOS image sensor market. Consumer electronics accounted for a share of ~73% of the market in 2014. This market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.8% between 2015 and 2020. The growing implementation of CMOS image sensors in dual camera mobile devices, tablets, and laptops has boosted the consumer electronics sector of the CMOS image sensor market.
The preference of dual camera phones for capturing images instead of carrying a still camera has supported the growth of the CMOS image sensor market. The market for CMOS image sensor in the automotive sector is expected to grow at a high CAGR of 19.4% between 2015 and 2020. The growing awareness about driver assistance and driver safety with the help of advance driver assistance system (ADAS) is attracting investments by major players. Major players such as Sony Corporation, OmniVision, and Toshiba are focusing on the development of CMOS image sensor for the automotive sector.
APAC expected to hold the largest market share and grow at a high CAGR during the forecast period. Asia-Pacific dominated the CMOS image sensor market, accounting for the market share of ~38% in 2014; it is expected to grow at a high CAGR of 13.0% between 2015 and 2020. The high adoption of dual camera mobile phones in APAC region is supporting the growth of the CMOS image sensor market.
The companies involved in the development of CMOS image sensor include:
- CMOSIS N.V. (Belgium),
- e2v technologies plc. (U.K.),
- GalaxyCore Inc. (China),
- OmniVision Technologies Inc. (U.S.),
- ON Semiconductor Corporation (U.S.),
- Panasonic Corporation (Japan),
- PixArt Imaging Inc.(Taiwan),
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (South Korea),
- Sharp Corporation (Japan),
- SK Hynix Inc. (South Korea),
- Sony Corporation (Japan),
- STMicroelectronics N.V. (Switzerland),
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd (Taiwan).,
- Teledyne Technologies, Inc. (U.S.),
- Toshiba Corporation (Japan).