EXTON, Pa. – Bentley Systems, Incorporated today announced V8i, the most comprehensive software portfolio for infrastructure ever assembled in a single release. Encompassing products for all of the solution communities served by Bentley, the V8i portfolio leverages and extends core capabilities of its new interoperability platform to provide the breadth and depth of technology needed for fully integrated project delivery. V8i’s interoperability platform enables Bentley applications to persist, share, and visualize infrastructure asset data in a common way, promoting collaborative workflows. The result is a project environment that combines flexibility, scalability, and robustness, and a portfolio that offers engineers, architects, GIS professionals, constructors, and owner-operators unprecedented choices across discipline-specific integrated software and services incorporated in Bentley solutions. Developed as a collective whole, the V8i software portfolio facilitates streamlined workflows among multiple disciplines and across project teams throughout the infrastructure lifecycle.
The benefits of V8i include increased information quality, enhanced infrastructure asset quality, improved operational safety, reduced project costs, and shortened delivery times. Among the many innovative core capabilities of V8i are intuitive design modeling, interactive dynamic views, intrinsic geo-coordination, and incredible project performance.
“We are confident that the release of V8i, which began today and will be completed over the next 60 days, will introduce significant innovation and workflow improvements that set new benchmarks for infrastructure professions in virtually every discipline,” said CTO Keith Bentley.
Said CEO Greg Bentley, “Our virtually concurrent release of this comprehensive portfolio of products is, by any measure in the software industry, an ambitious undertaking. Its timeliness is underscored by the importance of the challenges met by our users as they strive to sustain the world’s infrastructure and address such critical issues as aging bridges, water system losses, energy and commodity supply, building efficiency, and environmental resilience.”
He continued, “We have developed V8i with these pivotal needs in mind, including the most critical challenge – the global shortfall in engineering resources in relation to infrastructure requirements. Moving emphatically beyond merely computer-aiding the production of traditional ‘deliverables,’ including design, drawings, and models, our mandate for the V8i portfolio has been to provide our users with the capabilities they need to increase their cost-efficiencies and maximize the return on their investments in innovation, empowering them to design, build, and operate better-performing infrastructure projects and assets.”
Two critical advantages of the V8i portfolio are intraoperability and interoperability. Together, they enable broader reuse of project and asset information generated during the design, construction, and operation of infrastructure, and enhance the ability of project teams to choose among multiple software offerings. The intraoperability occurs across and between tightly coupled V8i products without loss of information. The interoperability occurs across necessarily distributed projects where participants can now increase their choice of software offerings from Bentley, loosely but usefully coupled with the work of other practitioners using software based on DGN, PDF, DWG, ISO 15926, IFC, and other industry standards and related APIs.
Some of the key business benefits of V8i to user organizations include:
- Infrastructure project improvements leading to lower total installed cost coupled with lower operating expenses,
- More efficient retrofits and modifications throughout an asset’s lifecycle,
- A competitive edge in the face of increased global competition,
- Increased efficiency, safety, and reliability of infrastructure and the services it provides.
Core V8i Capabilities
V8i’s interoperability platform provides improved integration among Bentley products. This allows infrastructure professionals to take advantage of the following core V8i capabilities that are leveraged within the entire portfolio:
- Intuitive design modeling lets users seamlessly transition from conceptual modeling and visualization to fully complete architectural and engineering models in a single environment. For example, the new GenerativeComponents, surface, and push-pull modeling tools enable teams to capture innovative thinking and transition rapidly from concept to completion. In addition, the parametric and associative modeling tools allow users to iterate more easily on design alternatives and answer more questions earlier in the process. Through the flexibility of this powerful toolset, infrastructure professionals can timely explore and embrace innovations to improve the performance of the projects and assets their teams deliver.
Additionally, the new Luxology rendering engine incorporated in the MicroStation product and all MicroStation-based applications provides near-real-time rendering in the design application. This saves time and improves the quality of rendered images for stakeholder review and buy-in.
- Interactive dynamic views make working in 3D much more interactive and more informative. V8i builds on and extends existing approaches to solving the problem of drawing coordination for complex models by actively supporting the workflows of distributed multidisciplinary teams all working on the same project. V8i goes one step further by helping users simplify the 3D model creation process. Employing something called “display sets,” V8i users can easily change the way different parts of a 3D model are displayed in the same working view to interactively visualize and resymbolize 2D and 3D designs in real time.
- Intrinsic geo-coordination assures that all V8i projects include the real-world location of the infrastructure site, and inherit the useful reference data already diversely available. This capability lets infrastructure professionals synchronize and coordinate true and projected coordinate systems, use a single interpretation system for universal and industry-standard reference sources, and reduce the risks of errors on site.
- Incredible project performance lets users work faster and collaborate more effectively to make the process of work sharing across multiple, distributed offices easy and efficient, even for the world’s largest infrastructure projects. V8i delivers a series of productivity and accessibility gains through accelerated file transfer between locations – with 10x performance gains being the norm for average files sizes – and full read/write integration with Microsoft SharePoint provided for improved overall usability.