Toronto, Canada: Avenza Systems Inc., producers of MAPublisher cartographic software for Adobe Illustrator and Geographic Imager spatial tools for Adobe Photoshop, released USGS (United States Geological Survey) topographic maps for use on the PDF Maps iOS app.
According to Avenza, more than 55,000 USGS topographic maps are available through the PDF Maps Library to be downloaded and viewed using the PDF Maps app. The topographic maps are in geographically-aware PDF files organised by state, area and 7.5 minute quadrangle (1:24,000 scale). A useful thumbnail allows users to preview the map before downloading it. Any iOS device with GPS or Wi-Fi allows users to interact with maps and use them for simple navigation, drop waypoints and use the compass for orientation. In addition, the latest version of PDF Maps allows users to export waypoints to CSV, GPX or KML.
“USGS topographic maps in our PDF Maps Library provide a high level of detail and are perfect for portable mobile devices. We have developed an app that delivers content in a new way and are now providing access to content that users have been requesting.” said Ted Florence, President of Avenza.
PDF Maps also offers the following capabilities:
– Access and load maps through iTunes File Sharing, Wi-Fi or cellular network to read maps anytime.
– Access and interact with saved maps without the need for a live network connection (offline).
– Download content from the PDF Maps Library.
– View your location on the PDF map using the built-in GPS device (iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi+3G) or via Wi-Fi triangulation.
– Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap).
– Change pin colours, position and label names.
– View the coordinates of the current position and any waypoint (latitude and longitude), open it in the Maps app.
– Measure distances and areas
– Open current map extents in the Maps app