ESRI Canada has announced that ArcGIS 8.2 is now available in Canada. ArcGIS is a scalable family of software products (ArcView, ArcEditor, ArcInfo, ArcSDE, and ArcIMS) comprising a complete GIS built on industry standards that is rich in functionality and works out-of-the-box. The ArcGIS 8.2 release improves integration with ArcIMS, adds a new extension, and also includes a portfolio of enhancements and new features.
Improved ArcIMS Integration:
The ArcGIS 8.2 release coincides with ArcIMS 4. ArcIMS is ESRI’s solution for distributing mapping and GIS data and services on the web. Using ArcIMS 4 in conjunction with ArcSDE and ArcGIS Desktop (ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo) users can create a central repository for publishing and browsing metadata over the Internet. Metadata can be authored using the ArcGIS ArcCatalog application, published to a metadata server, and then easily searched by others.
One of the new optional extensions for ArcIMS 4 is ArcIMS ArcMap Server, which ties ArcGIS Desktop and ArcIMS more closely together. ArcIMS ArcMap Server allows files created in the ArcGIS ArcMap application to be shared over the Internet.
Using ArcIMS ArcMap Server, you can:
- Publish maps using ArcGIS advanced cartography.
- Support all data types supported by ArcGIS including geodatabases, coverage annotation, network data (dynamic segmentation), versioned layers in ArcSDE, and CAD drawing files (DGN, DWG, and DXF). This powerful addition to ArcIMS allows you to leverage your existing map documents and GIS databases and publish the information on the web.
ArcGIS Extensions–New and Improved:
ArcGIS Publisher is an optional ArcGIS Desktop extension that allows GIS users and data suppliers to easily publish and share electronic maps locally, over networks, or via the Internet. ArcGIS Publisher converts ArcMap (MXD) to published map files (PMF) map documents. PMF files are viewable through ArcReader, a free downloadable product from ESRI.
Significant improvements have been made to ArcGIS 3D Analyst and ArcGIS Spatial Analyst. ArcGIS 3D Analyst adds a new animation toolbar that allows users to easily create flybys, give layers motion, smoothly transition sun position, and more. ArcGIS Spatial Analyst adds functionality to the raster calculator including new groundwater, multivariate, and color model conversion functions.
Key ArcGIS Desktop Enhancements:
The following portfolio of enhancements is also included with ArcGIS Desktop 8.2.
- New spatial adjustment toolbar for editing data. This toolbar within ArcGIS Desktop allows rubber sheeting, transformation, edge-matching, and attribute transfer.
- Improved libelling and annotation management. Users can rotate labels by “angle from” an attribute field, and new text formatting tags allow users to dynamically modify the formatting for a portion of text.
- Enhancements to metadata. Metadata enhancements include support for the International Standards Organization (ISO) metadata standard and the ability to publish metadata to the ArcIMS 4 Metadata Server.