About Intel Drone Technology
Did you know Intel is a drone company and the Intel Drone Technology seems promising! This is a less known fact to the geospatial community. At INTERGEO 2016, Intel reached out the surveying & mapping professionals with its drone offerings. Most of these offerings are through Intel’s acquisition of Ascending Technologies (that happened in January 2016).
Intel® Aero Compute Board
This is a UAV developer kit of the size of a playing card powered by quad-core Intel® Atom™ processor with open-source Linux OS aimed at allowing drone enthusiasts, developers, and start-ups to manufacture drones.
The basic dev kit priced at $399.00 comes as compute board the following key features:
- Operating System: Linux 4.4.3-yocto-standard OS powered with Yocto Project 2.1 (Krogoth)
- Wi-Fi: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260; 802.11ac, 2×2 MIMO
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR3-1600
- Storage Embedded: 32 GB eMMC
- Camera Interface: MIPI (CSI-2) 4-lanes + 1 lane connector
Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone
This is a ready-to-fly unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) development platform is a fully assembled, fully functional quadcopter powered by the Intel® Aero Compute Board, equipped with Intel® RealSense™ depth and vision capabilities.
Instead of assembling a drone, you can start your UAV journey with this ready to fly drone for your experimentation.
Available only through advanced reservations in the US and Canada, the product is expected for shipping during Q4 of 2016.
Intel® RealSense™ Technology
All the drones of Intel can come with Intel® RealSense™ camera feature that can intelligently detect obstacles, using the depth sensing functionality. This functionality is used for mapping the terrain and navigating the obstacles, says Intel.
In this video, you can see Intel‘s CEO Brian Krzanich demonstrating the Yuneec Typhoon H with Intel® RealSense™ Technology.
Intel® Falcon 8+ Drone
Intel® Falcon 8+ drone is the professional multirotor UAV offering from Intel for aerial imaging, industrial inspection, surveying, mapping, and monitoring. This comes with AscTec Trinity technology for the safety of flights.
- Drone weight : 2.8 kg take-off weight (Empty weight – 1.2 kg, Payload weight – 0.8 kg)
- Drone size: 768 x 817 x 160mm
- Camera resolution: Digital camera Sony Alpha 7R 36 MP
- Navigation Sensors: IMU: barometer, compass, accelerometers, gyroscopes, along with ;GPS and GLONASS
— GEOSPATIAL WORLD (@geoworldmedia) October 13, 2016