Danish ahmad senior Software Engineer, LMK Resources Islamabad, Pakistan
Professor, GIS Center, University of the Punjab,
Lecturer, GIS Center, University of the Punjab
All the facilities, utilities and necessities for daily life are accessible using the road network. The main aim of research is to make life easier by accessing and querying a rich and ever increasing urban resource inventory. People traveling on roads do not have maps or computers to plug and retrieve geographic information but they do have smart mobiles and handhelds
The development of GIS has been highly influenced by the progress of Information Technology. Theemerging usage of mobile technology and thrust in wireless communications leads to a new breed of GISystems. Realizing the increased usage of mobiles, wireless devices like Palmtops, PDAs, and smart cellular phones the GIS industry giants are shifting the paradigm towards a Mobile GIS. Mobile GIS refers to the use of GIS through mobile and wireless devices. This multidimensional research extends the idea of Mobile GIS by development of a robust and extensible Internet GIServices that provides location based services. A Location based Geographic Information System (LBS)- “Smart GIS” is developed in this design research that provides sumptuous network services to mobile users in a distributed computing environment.
GIS gurus have identified these major components of a Mobile GIS:
- Position-determining components (PDEquipment) refer to components to determine the locations of the mobile devices in real time. They include hardware and software to identify and track the locations of mobile devices. These can be based on a cellular triangulation or GPS to discover position.
- Location information refers to content information about a geographic location. It includes reference information to a geographic location, such as a street fie or a boundary file, and specific information about a particular location, such as Yellow Pages information.
- Information processing service components concern the network processing or analysis services of geographic information, that is, how to provide the location information in a usable way to mobile users.
- Gateway services are middle-ware between the information processing components and the mobile devices. The purpose of the gateway service is to make the services provided by the server (e.g., application server and Web server) compatible with the mobile devices.
- Mobile GIS relies on the wireless network to transport information.
- Mobile GIS requires Internet enabled mobile devices. This means that the mobile devices have to be able to access and display Internet services.