Mohamad Mir Mohamad Sadeghi
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Deparment of natural resources Isfahan ,
Hezar Jerib Avenue, Darvazeh Shriz Sq, Isfahan,Iran
Tel:+98 0311 6688121-3, Fax:+98 0311 6688125
Isfahan province with an area of 10.7 million hecktares in location in central situation of Iran,in tile vicinity of Zagros mountains.It is located between 49 D ,15 M until 55 D ,45 M longitude and 31 D,25 M until 34 D,30 M latitude.
From north it is limited to Semnan,Qom and Central province.
From south it is limited to Fars and Kohkiloyeh-va-Boyerahmad.
From east it is limited Yazd.
From west it is limited to Lorestan and Chaharmahal-o-oBakhtiari.
Isfahan province consisted of 20 cities.Khomeinishar city having 17657 hectares is the smallest city and Naein having 3513224 Hec is the largest city Of Isfahan.
The Geografical situation of Isfahan province and its related cities is presented in map .
The goal of executing the project is to provide natural resources map of Isfahan Province Natural resources map is the map that involves main factors(such as topography,roads,railway,river,towns,village,important installations),it keeps us information about the location and quaalitative-quantitative values of other factors in Natural resources such as forest,rangelands,dry desert and desert.
The natural resources map consists of topographical information,other main information and information about forest,rangeland,dry desert.
Regarding to the topographical maps on a scale of1:250000,1:50000,1:25000 and the natural resources map on scale at 1:250000 and 1:100000,the situation of farming lands and dry farming lands will be specofied on this map.
The natural resources map provided with SHP and Coverage formats to form a geographical data base and also making it up to data in specific periods eg,each 5 years.
General the important aims of this project are:
- Identification of different ecological areas.
- Identification of important factors according to extension.
- Classification of necessary information in the connection of natural resources.
- Making the statistics similar to each other.
- Making the information and statistics clear.
- presenting exact and correct information to organizations.
After the victory of Islamic revolution,with regard to scientific review of executies and bringing the natural resources plans under control,it manifestes to have natural resources map,providing statistics,main information and data bank.
So it becomes nesseary to provide a natural resources map by FAO but due to high expences our experts deuded to provide it under the control .So we decide to provide the natural resources map of Isfahan in a decentralized way and using the experts of natural resources.
In order to provide and perform the project of natural resources map 2 experts were introduced to the technical-engineering office to learn necessary thing.(Mir mohamad sadeghi and nadi).sometimes because of the variety of items other experts helped.
Time of executing the project
The manager of the organization confirmed the project of providing natural resources Map in 1999. The directions and pictures were delivered to technical-engineering Office in 1999 and the work began practically from the summer of 1999. They specified that the time of executing the project is2 years but it changed to 3 years. The map was completed in 3 years and then it was sent to technical- engineering for Priniting.
The method of executing the project
In order to provide natural resources map we needed training,facilities such as map,satellites pictures,suitable working place,transportation for field check …..Also the provinces map should agree to each other in order to provide the complete map of the country .
So the below cases were executed in 3 stages:
- The first stage:
- The topographical maps of 1:250000 and 1:50000 and the index of this maps were provided,then we marked the boundaries namerically to provide the map within the framwork of the index of the organization,s.
- Roads are one of the important factors that make the map clear.So we provided the map of main Roads,by-roads and railways numerically .
- Other main maps such as flood-ways,topography with a distance of 500 m.Topography and residential areas were provided to clear the map which printing it.
- Field operations stage.
- The pictures of Landsat 5 satellite having TM measuring on a scale of 1:100000 in a segmented manner and a quarter frame.
- Specifications of the pictures are presented in figure below.
- At first the pictures were delivered with the combination of 742 bands,but we changed it to 432 because that combination specify the vegetation,geology and also there is no way to divide the resources such as renglands,forest and rocks on heights.
- After taking the picture they were covered by a transparent mica and all the information,specifications and co-coordinate networks were written on it.Then they were drawn by using existing maps and their boundaries were marked.
- Using explanation and interpretation(table below),the feature of related areas were explained&interpreted,then the boundaries specified and drawn on a tracing-paper.
Vegetation map layer and items in PAT table
Vegetation layer and land use Class Lc_Code Symbol Urban 1 URB 18 Condensed Forest 2 F1 11 Semi Condensed Forest 3 F2 48 Thin Forest 4 F3 18 Shrub land 5 SH 78 Planted forest 6 PF 3 Condensed Rengland 7 R1 13 Semi Condensed rengland 8 R2 28 Thin Rengland 9 R3 88 Irrigation farm and garden 10 IF 5 Dry farm 11 DF 20 Kavir and Desert 12 K 15 Sand dune 13 SHR 37 Sand Area 14 SS 6 Salt land and Salinity 16 SL 82 Daghe 15 TK 7 Swamp 17 SW 67 Bare Land and without cover 18 BL 61 Water area(Lakes and pond) 19 L 4 The forth of the river 20 RB 2
- In pictures below we have specified specific items such as forest to plant,Renglands first class,Forest third class and Sand Dune
Natural Forest (F3)
Forest to plant(Haloxylon sp)
Renglands in West of Isfahan Province
- We have feature control of divided classes with GPS receiver and list of controlled points.In order to write the exact coordination of each place we waited a few minutes then we wrote it UTM and geografically.we estimated the type of vegetation according to defined classes in table top.Experienced experts helped us during the first stages of earth control and estimated of vegetation.
- laboratory operations
- After explanation and classification of vegetation,having final control and comparing the calssification of pictures to neighbouring pictures we used the geografical coordinates to make the results numerical by ArcView and PC Arc/Info software.
- After entering locus data and eliminating probable errors the polygon topology was created for the layer and finaly three new items were added to PAT,s tables:
- CLASS item which has a numerical type with 5 widths.
- LC_CODE item which has a characteristic type with 8 widths.
- SYMBOL item which has a numerical type with 5 widths.
We completed the PAT table of covered layer according to appointed covered layers,numbers and codes in tavle top.Because of the importance of this part of the project the produced information layers were controlled in on ArcView environment software.
- After eliminating probable errors and entering descriptive data of layers we provide a complete map of the area by using existing facilities in PC Arc/Info and ArcView software.
- By using the above softwares and the country,s divisions we provided the final natural resources map.This map was provided in size A0 and then it was delivered to related offices such as desert office,forest office and etc.
After unifying the natural resources map,having final control and eliminating the errors the attribute data of the map were analyzed in two ways:
A-Statistical analysis feature
We calculated the area and percent of each class of the map,then we compiled the results in table below and draw the bar chart.
No Symbol Number of record Area(Hectar) Percent(%) 1 URB 813 99315.04 .9292 2 F2 2 361.06 .0034 3 F3 16 65248.22 .6101 4 PF 123 347892.23 3.2522 5 R1 27 279119.29 2.6092 6 R2 80 400127.62 3.7402 7 R3 163 5608958.53 52.4328 8 IF 2112 667477.27 6.2415 9 DF 189 30672.3 .287 10 K 65 212621.62 1.988 11 SHR 14 355469.08 3.3229 12 SS 2 7732.49 .0723 13 TK 1 54912.58 .5133 14 SL 127 489204.82 4.5731 15 BL 1027 1920866.38 17.957 16 L 6 6052.43 .0565 17 RB 9 30359.62 .2837 18 N 3 5088.19 .0476 19 SLA 2 115841 1.0829 Total 10697319.77 100
As you see the most import feature in this province are rengelands 6288205.4Hectar (R1,R2&R3)or %58.7 of total area of Isfahan Province includes rengelands.They include 145 type and more than 2000 different species.
B-Comparing the results
Experts and offices have presented various and different statistics about the scale of resources,rangelands,forest…….So after comparing the statistics of natural resources map to existing statistics it was revealed that the statistics have come into existance by different methods such as sampling and estimation so they can not be compared with the statistics of natural resources map.
c-Comparing the situation of natural resources of cities statictally.
In order to get access to the statistics of the existing natural resources of each related city we provided their natural resources map and their information tables separatedlly and then we draw their graphs.
Suggestions and results
An important characteristics of this project are:
- The extension of the area executing actions is 10.69 million Hectars.
- Executing the laboratory and field operations group by group.
- The project is unique.
- The results are applicable for offices.
- The inforamtion is numerical.
- We can use it with law expences in a suitable time.
- Classification of sundry information.
The results of the project are:
- Provided a complete natural resources map of Isfahan Province.
- Identifying mainplaces.
- Identifying ecologic potential of the province.
- Get access to vegetations .
- Dividing different units and recognizing their area and situation.
- Unifying the statistics.
- Establishing a scientific base to obtain the natural resources information and also providing necessary situation to use the statistics.
- Using the natural resources map in other subjects.
- Printing the natural resources map in the face of colorful atlas.
- Making the natural resources map up to date and periodically.
- Informing a data bank of natural resources.
- Providing a natural resources map with exact scales.
- Gathering and executing the experiences in international and province seminars.
- Training modern software of GIS such as ARCGIS.
- laboratory operations