Trung Tran Vinh
Hochiminh City University of Technology
Hochiminh City, Vietnam
|DITAGIS was the first GIS center in Vietnam to introduce the provincial GIS model. The model was applied to Dong Nai province, based on the project DONAGIS. DITAGIS introduced the GIS for Hochiminh City.|
The DITAGIS Center was founded as the Center for Developing Information Technology and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training in 1994. Located at Hochiminh City the DITAGIS Center is now a part of the University of Technology, Vietnam National University. The early mission of DITAGIS focused on converting existing data on paper maps into a format that would be compatible with a computer. Most of data was used for the first project ‘DONAGIS’ — to develop the Geographic Information System for Dong Nai province. DITAGIS recognized the importance of GIS and started to introduce it to several agencies in Vietnam since 1994.
1995: DITAGIS held its first GIS Conference — the GIS.1 – which was attended by variety of professionals at the University of Technology, Hochiminh City. The conference has now grown to become the largest annual GIS event in Vietnam.
1996: DITAGIS organized the first GIS course relating to digitizing maps.
2000: DITAGIS was the first GIS center in Vietnam to introduce the provincial GIS model. The model was applied to Dong Nai province, based on the project DONAGIS.
- DITAGIS introduced the GIS for Hochiminh City. The project called SAGOGIS named by DITAGIS is nearing completion.
- Introduction of framework concept for large and professional GIS in Vietnam.
- DITAGIS held the first GIS master course.
- Started to develop GIS in Vietnam through the national project MEKOGIS.
- Started the international cooperation with the University of Santa Barbara, California and the University of Kentucky, USA. This year, DITAGIS sent its staff to these universities for studying and practicing GIS. DITAGIS took part in the ESRI International User Conference.
At present: DITAGIS is working full force on developing GISystem (Geographic Information System), GIScience (Geographic Information Science) and GIService (Geographic Information Service).