The McKinsey Global Institute estimates that an investment of $60 trillion in infrastructure is needed to maintain global GDP growth through 2030. This requirement is likely to be met with only $24 trillion in funding from the world’s leading economies. To close the gap in demand for infrastructure and available funding, a fundamentally new and better way to manage project complexity and drive down costs is urgently required. For this, Autodesk unveiled the Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Pro in August 2013.
It offers the latest 3D modelling, visualisation and cloud-based collaboration technologies and enhances building information modelling (BIM) workflows by providing desktop software and cloud-based capabilities that enable multi-discipline infrastructure project stakeholders in geographically dispersed offices to publish, store, collaborate and manage large models centrally in the cloud via desktop or mobile devices.
Best suited for: With its ability to import GIS data, satellite imagery and point clouds, Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Pro helps users to rapidly create proposals and 3D designs within the context of real site conditions.
To augment a BIM workflow for transportation civil engineers using Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Pro, the company also launched Autodesk Roadway Design for InfraWorks 360 Pro late last year. It is designed to advance BIM for infrastructure workflows by helping design professionals working on road and highway projects more effectively explore preliminary design options and optimise project performance. A combination of Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Pro with Autodesk Roadway Design for InfraWorks 360 Pro helps make it possible for road and highway projects of nearly unlimited scale and complexity to be designed and engineered in the context of the existing environment. Using the data-rich model as the canvas in which to perform engineering task improves the design processes when working on small, medium and even the largest, city-scale projects. Users can reach a bigger audience, including technical and non-technical project stakeholders, to quickly and efficiently explore and communicate engineered design alternatives, all within a compelling 3D environment.
Autodesk InfraWorks 360 Pro is available via a quarterly or annual rental plan, making it ideal for firms to test-drive or use it for short-term project needs.
• More efficiently build large infrastructure models from existing 2D CAD, 3D model, GIS, and raster data. A link for direct access to WeoGeo.com portal comes to acquire free or for-purchase data.
• Model infrastructure objects more accurately in the context of the existing environment with easy-to-use, industry-specific features.
• Create compelling simulations and visualisations that present design alternatives more accurately in the context of the existing environment.
• Exploit the data behind the visualisation to help demonstrate an unparalleled understanding of project needs.
• The power of the cloud can be used for computational intensive aspects of performance analysis and simulation for complex infrastructure projects.